Tesla makes provisions for front license plates, for jurisdictions or market regions where front plates are allowed. For this reason, every new Tesla vehicle is shipped with front license plate brackets, and the brackets are made to conform to the shape of your Tesla model’s front bumper. The bracket is supposed to be held in place using a strong adhesive.
But what if you don’t like Tesla’s shipped license plate holder? Or what if you want to explore other license plate options that do not require adhesives or any other intrusive binding methods?
In this article, I will be listing what I believe to be the best front license plate holders for Tesla models 3, Y, S, and X.
Choosing the Best Front License Plate Holders
Durability – I believe that this is arguably the most important deciding factor when it comes to rating and choosing front license plate holders for Tesla. The last thing you need to worry about is your license plate and its holder falling off from time to time.
And if you think that license plate holders falling off is far-fetched, then think again! For example, Tesla’s shipped license plate brackets, as I mentioned earlier, use adhesives to attach to the bumper.
They strongly recommend that you only install the bracket on a dry surface, and on a warm day. So, if you’re looking to install your plate holders on a wet or cold day, well, forget about it because, as Tesla states, doing so will already compromise the quality of the binding.
So, yes, durability without conditions is a must.
Ease Of Installation – I will immediately tell you that any front plate holder set-up that involves the use of adhesives, drilling, or screws is not convenient or user friendly. Installing and removing license plates holders from your Tesla vehicle shouldn’t be any significant form of DIY. So, I have gone for license plate holders that make it very easy to install and remove them under any conditions.
Security – As much as possible, you want a front license plate holder for your Tesla vehicle that cannot easily be stolen. Therefore, I have gone for front license plate holders that have as much security as possible
Affordability – It is true that Tesla vehicle accessories are relatively costly. However, this doesn’t mean that you need to make a major investment when getting a license plate holder for your Tesla.
Best Front License Plate Holders For Tesla
1. Aiguotua No Drill Front License Plate Holder for Tesla Model 3/Y
When I specifically searched for this product on Amazon, I was shocked at how few the reviews were. But then I remembered that the product is still very new in the market.
In my opinion, this front license plate holder is perhaps one of the best out there for Tesla model 3 and model Y.
It comfortably ticks all the boxes on my list and then some.
Let’s start with durability. The Tesla front license plate holder is made from anodized and coated aluminium. This combination makes it reliably resistant to rust and other environmental conditions. It is also resistant to mechanical shock, without being cumbersome or cluttered.
It also uses a unique ratchet mechanism to ensure that the plate holder stays in place for a long time to come, under any condition.
For ease of installation, you can install and uninstall it in seconds. Literally. All you need to do is to line up the front license plate holder to the middle of the grille and then turn the front knob on the plate holder to secure it against the grille. When you turn the knob, the grips of the plate holder fasten the plate onto the top and bottom surface of the Tesla grille without impacting the grille.
For security, this product trumps the rest. It has a unique anti-theft design that allows it to be secured to the car with 2 keys. For good measure, you are also provided with anti-theft screws and screwdriver. A Tesla front license plate holder under lock and key? I am all for it.
- Super easy to install and remove
- Durable and reliable front plate holder for any driving condition
- Super secure by design and can be secured with keys
- Has a wide model year range: Tesla model 3 and Y, 2017 to 2023
I struggle to find any. You could argue that it costs $10 more than many high-quality front license plate holders. But those holders do not have the features that this product has.
2 InspiredTsla Front License Plate Holder for Tesla Model 3 (2017-2023)
Designed by Tesla Model 3 owners, in consultation with other Tesla Model 3 owners, for Tesla Model 3 vehicles, only. This front license plate holder has one purpose: to provide you with a quick, easy, secure, durable, and affordable installation for your Model 3 vehicle from 2017 to 2023. And it delivers.
It uses a patented linkage self-lock mechanism to ensure that the front plate holder stays in place whatever your driving condition, including high speed and potholes. It is also made from durable aluminium, so you don’t have to worry about changing it any time soon.
Installation is as simple as pushing down the plate’s lever and it automatically snaps into pace. No drilling, screws, or adhesives required.
It does, however, come with screws for extra security. And this screw can’t be removed without a special key which is included in the package.
- Super easy to install
- Tested and trusted to withstand most driving conditions
- Extra security with screws and an Allen key
- Also has wide model year range, 2017 to 2023
- It does not touch the bumper
- Only suitable for a Model 3.
3. DEWEST 2PCS License Plate Frames for S, X, Y, 3 Models OfTesla
This is one of those occasions where a compromise is inevitable. You will be hard pressed to find a front license plate holder for Tesla model S and X that does not require screws or adhesives. I have chosen this product because even though it uses screws, the installation is almost just as quick as those listed above.
This product uses carbon fibre license plate imitation print holders to offer a cost effective and yet durable license plate solution customised for US car owners.
It is built using a multi protection aluminium alloy layer to ensure that it remains resistant to rust and wear.
It is very easy to install because all you need to do is screw the frame to the grille of your Tesla vehicle and you’re ready to go in a minute.
- Very affordable
- Customised for US car owners and allows you to show off your individuality
- Beautiful appearance with its carbon fibre printing. The carbon fibre printing on the surface of the aluminium frame is intended to make it to look like actual carbon-fibre license plate. The result is a beautiful-looking license plate that simply stands out from the rest.
- Designed to suit all Tesla models and model years. It is guaranteed to not block any of the four corners of the plate’s state registration tags to ensure compliance
- Requires screws. But it helps that all the tools that you will need for the installation are provided, including two license plate frames, tire valve cap, plastic screw caps, washers, machine screws, self-tapping screws, spacers, and screwdriver.
How To Install Tesla License Plate Holder
The method to install a Tesla license plate holder depends on the type of license plate holder that you purchase. For example, if you’re going with the license plate holder provided by Tesla with your shipped vehicle, then you would need to use adhesives to install the license plate holder on your Tesla vehicle. To do this, for the steps below:
- Note – You need isopropyl wipes
- Then, be sure to first test the isopropyl alcohol on the painted vehicle surface to confirm that it does not damage or remove paint from the vehicle
- When satisfied, clean the mounting site, that is the area where you mount the front license plate holder.
- After cleaning, allow to dry for at least one minute. I recommend 4 full minutes.
- Fully remove the protective tape from the adhesive at the top of the bracket, and partially remove the tape from the top of the adhesive on each side
- Leave the bottom half of the tape on the sides in place and fold the unattached tape outward for easy removal after aligning the bracket to the bumper
- While tilting the top of the license plate bracket away from the bumper, align the bottom centre of the license plates bracket with the middle of the grille
- Everything correctly aligned, press the top of the bracket against the bumper so that it is held in place by the adhesive
- Remove the remaining tape from the sides of the bracket, then press the entire bracket firmly against the bumper ensuring the bracket is held in place
- Once the bracket is securely mounted, use the four applied screws to attach your license plate to the bracket