When the Tesla vehicle you ordered becomes available, you are sent a notification, via SMS or email (depending on your contact preferences) to inform you of this. A few days later, you get another message with a link to schedule your delivery date and location.
If you are reading this article, it is likely that you have already gone through this process but are now looking for a way to change the delivery schedule that you made after clicking the link.
In this article, I will be answering all the questions that you may have around rescheduling your Tesla vehicle delivery.
Can You Reschedule Tesla Delivery?
Yes, you can reschedule Tesla vehicle delivery. It doesn’t matter what delivery option you choose, whether it is Express Delivery, Tesla Direct or Carrier Direct. It is possible and rather easy to reschedule your Tesla delivery if you cannot take delivery of the vehicle on the date that you originally scheduled. I have found that users usually require this delivery rescheduling for any of the following reasons:
- You have selected a delivery schedule but the funds may not yet be ready when you thought they will be
- You have been given a latest pick up date for delivery and been told that a date will be set if you do not select one yourself. However, you will not be ready to take the delivery even at the latest date provided
- You were fully ready to take delivery, but something came up and you will now be away during the delivery window
Thankfully, whatever the reason, you can reschedule the delivery of the vehicle to another date, but there are caveats attached to this. I will explain the conditions in other sections below.
How to Reschedule Tesla Delivery
The best way to reschedule your Tesla vehicle delivery is to contact the delivery team or your sales agent. There is no way to reschedule delivery using the link in the SMS that you used to make the schedule in the first place.
Simply call the delivery location that you have chosen and select the option for delivery. You should be connected to someone on the local delivery team who can help you reschedule the delivery.
Alternatively, you can text back the number that was used to send you the SMS for delivery scheduling. If necessary, they will contact you and guide you on how to be shared with a delivery.
If the contact medium was email, you can also reply the email and request for rescheduling.
Can You Delay Tesla Delivery?
Yes, you can delay your Tesla delivery. Just as you can reschedule delivery, you can also delay delivery for a later date, but within the delivery window provided by Tesla. This is especially important when you select Tesla Direct or Carrier Direct as your delivery option which will deliver the vehicle to your chosen location and on a set date.
So, if you will not be available to take delivery of the vehicle on the date that has been set, you can delay the delivery to a later date as long as it is within the delivery window.
How to Delay Tesla Delivery
The method to delay Tesla delivery is the same method or process to reschedule Tesla vehicle delivery. You either have to call the delivery location or your sales agent, or text back the number that sent the delivery SMS to you.
If you received the delivery scheduling via email, you can also reply to the email letting them know when you will be ready to take delivery of your Tesla.
How Long Can You Delay Tesla Delivery
There is no defined period for which you can delay your Tesla delivery. It varies across locations and with circumstance.
- When you have scheduled your delivery, you are usually provided with a delivery window. Even if you delay the delivery, the sales agent or delivery representative will tell you the latest date at which you must take delivery of the Tesla vehicle. If this window elapses, the vehicle will be reassigned to another customer whose needs best match the vehicle’s configurations and specifications.
- On the average, this delivery window is usually three days. After the 3-day window, you may not be able to take delivery of the same vehicle again. You would then have to wait for another vehicle to be configured for you and delivered at a later date.
- When this is the case, your order will be placed on hold while the current vehicle is reassigned to someone else. Once you are ready to take delivery and inform Tesla, the hold will be removed and you will be placed at the top of the list to get another Tesla vehicle in the next available batch.
Does Tesla Delivery Date Change?
Tesla delivery date generally does not change. They usually provide a delivery window which is about 4 days, and they tend to deliver within this window. However, there may be the rare occasion where a logistics problem necessitates a delivery date change. This is especially the case when you have selected the Career Direct option.
As you may already know, the Career Direct option applies when you are more than 220 miles from the nearest Tesla delivery location. In that case, Tesla will contract an independent carrier to bring the vehicle to your selected location at a cost to you.
You would then receive a delivery timing update from the independent carrier.
So, there may be occasions where a logistics problem from the independent carrier may necessitate a delivery date change. However, this does not happen often.
Can You Cancel Tesla After Scheduling Delivery?
Absolutely yes, you can cancel a delivery even after scheduling it. If you change your mind for whatever reason about completing a purchase on taking delivery of your Tesla, you can cancel the delivery and this will attract no penalties to you.
Here’s why it’s easy to cancel your Tesla delivery:
- After placing your order, you are supposed to download the Tesla app and use it to confirm your registration and delivery location.
- Using the app still, you should select whether you plan to trade in your current vehicle or finance your new Tesla vehicle fully.
- If you have selected to trade in your current vehicle, you will receive a notification when the delivery date approaches, to submit your trade in self-inspection or complete your credit application.
- If your delivery option is Express Delivery, you would only have to submit payment when you arrive at the Tesla location. This means that if you do not arrive at the location, you would not have to pay any fees, and you could easily cancel before or even on that date.
- If your delivery option is Tesla Direct, you would only have to submit payment when the vehicle arrives and you sign available agreements. This also means that you would not have to pay any fees if you do not arrive at the scheduled location. So, you can cancel the delivery before or even on that date.
But if your delivery option is Career Direct this may be a bit of a challenge. Here’s why:
- For the Career Direct delivery option, you would have to sign and return any applicable financing, leasing or trading documents.
- You would then have to sign available agreements and submit payment in the Tesla app, all before the vehicle is shipped in the first place.
- Finally, you would then receive a delivery date from Tesla which will be confirmed by the independent carrier.
This means that you have already made payment before the delivery date. So, if you wish to cancel delivery entirely, you would have to request for a refund from Tesla.
When you do this, you will receive a confirmation message stating the following:
“We’ve received your cancellation request and will begin processing your refund. Please allow 10 to 15 business days for completion.
If you had paid by credit card, it may take up to 30 days for the refund to be reflected on your statement”.
- To request a cancellation, go to tesla.com/cancellation. Sign in with your Tesla account details and complete the request for cancellation